The Kiwanis Club of Norfolk, founded in 1919, has raised and given back well over $1,000,000! It has a long history of giving to Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters, indeed raising and giving $14,000 in 1921 to build a 14 room Children’s Clinic to serve children in need, despite their families’ abilities to pay. Additionally, the Club was instrumental in the building of today’s CHKD Emergency Center and in the purchase of a Transport Vehicle; and is presently completing a gift of $50,000 toward the outfitting of a Negative Pressure room at the Hospital.
Each year, numerous charities benefit from the Club’s commitment to philanthropy. Non-profits are invited each March to apply for funding. This year (2017) a dozen charities received a total of $35,000 – the proceeds of last year’s Harbor Party!